Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I had a thought today at work.

I'm switching jobs, and I was talking to one of my coworkers about the whole ordeal.
We got to talking about change, and control, and everything else that we love to hate.

It's kinda funny to hear what reaction I get from which generation when I tell them
"I'm leaving a bank to work at a coffee shop"
Younger people are all supportive. They think it's great, see the potential in and and the happiness it holds.
Older people think I'm foolish. They tell me in this economy I should be careful and think long and hard about my decision.
I understand what they're getting at, but in this case, I'll actually be doing better at the coffee shop.

anyways.
What is it that makes this seem like such a bad thing?

The American Dream isn't all it's cracked up to be.
People think you have to have this big title, be completely taken care of, have lots of money in savings, and be able to control every single thing that happens to be happen.
Reality is, there's reality.
Unexpected things happen.
It's inevitable.

My coworker and I discussed life.
unpredictable, messy, beautiful life.
How sometimes, things just happen. You don't plan for them, you don't see it comin', but you can't stop it.
That's when you just take the punches as they come
"Play the cards your dealt"
I think that is some of the best advice I've ever been given.
If you try and control everything or predict it before it happens, you're just gonna go crazy.
Life is risky. Anything could happen at any time. What if's are around every corner.
Honestly, What can you do about it?
Nothing.
But take it as it comes, and make the most of it.

I don't think she realized how much she encouraged me.

No comments:

Post a Comment