Saturday, October 16, 2010

"It was kind of embarrassing"

That's what my co-worker said.
"It was kind of embarrassing"

What was he referring to?
Christian Music.

My heart broke.

Not only because he was referring to a song about my Best Friend, my Savior, my Deliver, my Healer, my Everything
but that I knew what he meant.

One of our co-workers is on vacation.
Since she has been, the other two changed the radio station to a local rap and R&B station from the country music we usually have it on.
I tolerated it at first, but the morning I opened, I changed to to the Christian radio station I used to volunteer at.
I noticed a difference in my temperment and everything.
It was one of the first times I can actually remember leaving work happy.

The next day when the other co-worker was there, he didn't say anything about the station being different
Until I came back from lunch.
He said,
"There was a construction worker guy in here, and they were playing some kind of kumbya kinda song that seemed like it would be played around a campfire... I just kinda stood there like... *insert face showing awkwardness* I was kinda embarrassed..."

I know the songs he's referring to. It's the ones from back when Christian music first became a genre. Granted, they can seem pretty old school...
But... I mean, did you even listen to the words?
Those old school songs are dripping with gratitude and love for my Savior.
They express the very things that God is all about
Love, Peace, Compassion
the Passion Jesus has for us
The importance of His Word
and much much more.

It's not our place to deem music embarrassing or not if it's talking about our Savior.
That should be reason enough to love it.
Does that make sense?

It's people's choice if they don't like it. We shouldn't be embarrassed to play it.
If they want to ask my why, I'll tell them
I have plenty of stories of ways Jesus has changed my life


I don't really know if this makes sense as to what I feel
but.
My Jesus is not embarrassing
And, granted, I'm not perfect, but I'm doing my best to not let anything hold me back in expressing how great God really is

The hardest is fear
especially the fear of man
and people's opinions

but, they're mere mortals
what can they do to me?

My spirit lives forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment