Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Merry Christmas, here's a funeral.

I didn't make it near as long between deaths this time as I did last time, and what's worse is that this time it's someone close to our family.

Dad called me at work today to inform me that the Husband of our married neighbors died last night.
He was in Galveston, picking up a boat, when he died in the hotel room. He was found the next morning, they called the ambulance, who found him unresponsive and took him to a hospital where they pronounced him dead.

We've known this family since I was about 10 or 11. They own a restaurant here in town that is well known and loved by everyone in the area. In fact, just last week they opened a new, bigger location. My family has all worked at this restaurant at one point or another. We grew up with his youngest daughter, who is now married with two kids of her own. He's helped us with projects on the property, and vise versa. He would come over and talk to my Dad for hours, or come out and say hi when we stopped by the restaurant and refuse to let us pay. He was always good to us, his family is full of good people. We would go over for Thanksgivings or whatever they were having at the house, he would drive his little red sports car over to see us. It's just weird to know he won't be outside to wave when we go walking, or give me a hard time when I come home late, or hang out with my Dad.

I think I'm still in shock. It doesn't seem real. After all, he's always there, surely he still will be, right?

And I'm here at work, having to suppress feelings so I don't lose it or whatever. I just want to sit in an empty place with my journal and really process this.
I want to hang out with my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment