Sunday, January 26, 2014

There's something about spending time with someone who was there when you were born...

My family went to have lunch with a lady from our church today. She's recently a widow, and  I've known that her family has known my family for a while, (since her husband worked with my Dad) but I guess I didn't really realize or fully grasp how long. I remember them from when I was a kid, and knew they moved back recently when they started going to my parent's church again and I would see them when I visited.
I remember the first time I saw them again, Mr. Michael hugged me with tears in his eyes. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me his was so proud of me.
It wasn't a couple months later that he died of complications from a heart attack.
I've since started coming back to my parents church now that I've moved back into town, and I've seen Ms. Sally and spoken to her a few times. I don't think she recognized me at first, not as her husband had, at least.
She made chili last week and invited us over, but mom had just made chili too, so we decided to wait til this week with hopes that the coming cold front would give us better weather for the dish. Her kindness was so gentle, I know it meant as much to my family to be there as it did to her to have us.
We shared stories and laughs, that's when my sister and I found out she was there when we were born. They actually moved 2 months after I was born, to which we would visit them as I got older. I remembered them, vaguely.
As we left 4 hours later, she told me, "It was such a joy to get to know you a little better! I know your sister, but I didn't really know much about you, and I absolutely loved getting to!"

There's something about spending time with someone who was there when you were born...
To have them meet you when you're an adult, and like who you are.

This is a sign of a life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment